Wednesday, November 11, 2009

When Life Hands you a Lemon...

My apologies for not blogging for a few weeks. My life has been crazy the past few weeks and while I have not posted any new blogs..I have been writing down many thoughts and preparing for my big Half Marathon this coming weekend.

We all know the expression "When life hands you a lemon, make lemonade". I have seen first hand how your life can change in one moment. I watch friends and family go through the death of the loved one, divorce, unaccomplished dreams..and it is not the loss itself that changes you, it is how you deal with your loss that defines who you will become. I mentioned before that Alex taught me so much in just 16 weeks and I am a different person because of the dream of him. I decided right after losing Alex that I would "decide to get better and not bitter". I can not feel sorry for myself when life does not go the way that I plan, instead, I look at what I can do to "make lemonade' from the lemons I receive and enjoy it's sweetness every day!

I continue to raise money for the Trisomy 18 Foundation. I plan to wear a picture of my baby Alex in my womb on my race day shirt. And I plan to continue raising funds after my race is over. I have raised a little over $1000 and while my goal is $1600 to represent the 16 weeks of knowing and loving Alex, I am happy with the support and donations that I have received and I will continue to raise money to reach my goal. If you are reading this and wish to donate go to www.trisomy18.org/goto/alexramirez My half marathon this weekend is just one way that I am taking my loss and doing something productive and positive. I plan to continue my pursuit of happiness and a day does not go by that I do not thank Alex for helping me find myself again, I will forever be grateful to him.

I do plan to continue blogging after my half marathon and i hope you will continue to follow my blog. I am sure that the holidays will prove to be difficult for Efrain and I , especially Christmas. I still think about how exciting it would be to welcome Alex home for the holidays. To give Elena a baby brother and enjoy the holiday with the new addition to our family. But I also think about how blessed I am to have an amazing family that has been my rock over the past 4 months. I am looking forward to spending time with my family and thanking them for being there for me.

Wish me luck this weekend, I am looking forward to spending time with my sister and completing a half marathon with a purpose and goal accomplished.

“If you want to accomplish the goals of your life, you have to begin with the spirit.” --Oprah

No comments:

Post a Comment